Fix Visual Studio 2003 locking up in Windows 10
In Windows 10, Visual Studio 2003 has some very annoying issues when trying to run. For example:
- The application locks up when you search through code
- Application preview doesn't render anything when you hover over it
The bug happens on Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 because of Aero. While in Windows Vista/7 this isn't a huge problem because you can easily disable Aero, in Windows 8 and 10 there is no way to fully turn it off. Fortunately though, the bug is really easy to fix.
- Step 1: Open regedit.exe. Go to the following key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers. (If the Layers key does not exist, create it).
Create a String with the name C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe. (If you installed Visual Studio 2003 on another drive replace C:\ with the drive you installed it on. If you are on 32-bit erase the (x86) from Program Files)
The value data should be ^ RUNASADMIN DISABLEDWM DISABLETHEMES
- Step 2: Close Visual Studio if it is open.
- Step 3: Start it again. You should get a UAC prompt, click "Yes" and continue.
- Step 4: Everything should be fixed! It won't lock up anymore, and previews work too. You can now compile and build apps with your 16 year old software with ease!